NEWS

Xenophobia: First Batch Of 320 Nigerians Set To Return From South Africa

single-image

Xenophobia: First Batch Of 320 Nigerians Set To Return From South Africa

The Consul General of Nigeria in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, has said that the first batch of the Nigerian returnees from South Africa would depart South Africa for Lagos on Wednesday.
According to Mr Adama who spoke to the the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in a telephone interview that the first batch of returnees, are expected to depart South Africa by 9:00 a.m Wednesday.
The consul general also disclosed that Air peace had indicated interest to evacuate over 600 Nigerians that were willing to return home following the latest xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
“The first flight leaves by 09:00 hours this Wednesday with about 320 passengers and the second batch will leave on Thursday all things being equal.
“We have over 600 who had indicated interest. All things being equal, without any hitches, the plane will take off by 09:00 hours this Wednesday.
“The manifest for the first flight is ready, and we are working on the next flight,” he said.
President Muhammadu Buhari had on Monday called for the immediate evacuation of Nigerians willing to return home from South Africa following the latest attacks on Nigerians and other African nationals.
Buhari gave the directive when he received a report of the special envoy to South Africa, the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ahmed Abubakar.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the chairman of Air Peace Mr Allen Onyema, had last week volunteered to send aircraft to evacuate Nigerians who wished to return home for free.
“Air Peace is willing to support the Nigerian Government’s efforts in this matter by deploying our B777 aircraft to evacuate Nigerians back home,” Onyema said.
Mr Oyema advised the returnees against making payment to anyone for their flights to Lagos.
Onyema urged the returning Nigerians to be wary of unauthorised persons, reportedly collecting $1,000 from them, adding that none of them should pay for the flights.
He said, his airline is particularly concerned about the safety of Nigerians in South Africans following the attacks.
“We have not designated or recruited any agent in South Africa to collect money on behalf of Air Peace.
“So, nobody should pay money to anyone or group of persons posing as Air Peace agent or staff.
“Any Nigerian who has paid money for repatriation to Nigeria with Air Peace should request for a refund and report to appropriate authorities,” he said.
The Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, had also pledged the Federal Government’s support to any Nigerian that wanted to return home.
Mrs. Dabiri-Erewa said this after a closed-door meeting with the Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations in Abuja.
She said that the returnees would be encouraged to enroll and participate in the various social intervention programmes of the government.
“We will encourage them to enroll in small scale entrepreneurial programmes with the Bank of Industry under the social investment programme. So, there are things that they can do’’, she said.

You may also like

SPORTS

Belgium leads in the New Fifa Ranking.

single-image

Belgium has over taken France as 1st while Nigeria makes the list as the 34th Team.

the top ten teams are Belgium, France, Brazil, England, Portugal, Uruguay, Spain, Croatia, Colombia and Argentina respectively.

Meanwhile, Senegal remain Africa’s highest-ranked nation in 20th position, with Tunisia a further nine places behind and Nigeria 34th, while Iran are wedged in between, in 23rd place, as Asia’s leading country.

However, Kosovo, (119, plus 1) have been rewarded for their valiant showing in UEFA EURO 2020 qualifying by reaching their best-ever position in the FIFA Ranking.

The Cook Islands are not ranked in the latest standings due to not playing an international “A” match in the last four years.

The next edition of the rankings will be released on October 24.

SPORTS

Who will be the 2017 BBC African Footballer of the Year?

Africa’s finest footballers are celebrated every year with a prestigious award from BBC, voted for by football fans across the globe.

Former winners of the BBC African Footballer of the Year include Didier Drogba, Jay-Jay Okocha, Yaya Toure and George Weah.

But, who will join this illustrious line-up and succeed last year’s winner, Riyad Mahrez?

Winning last year’s award, Mahrez said: “It means a lot; it’s something big for African players so I am very happy, I am very proud. It’s always good to receive awards and for African players its a huge honour.”

The five shortlisted players will be unveiled on November 11 in front of a live audience at the BBC’s headquarters in London.

Television viewers will see the ceremony live on BBC World News television…

View More Article
SPORTS

suspended for four years for doping: Kenya’s Olympic marathon champion, Jemima Sumgong

Jemima Sumgong, Kenya’s Olympic marathon champion has been suspended for four years for doping.

The 32-year-old was found to have taken banned blood-booster EPO in an out-of-competition test in her home country.  Sumgong, who also tested positive for a banned substance in 2012, won the London Marathon in 2016 before claiming gold in Rio, becoming the first Kenyan woman to take the title.

Her ban starts from April 3rd 2017, when she was provisionally suspended.  The banned substance, EPO, also known as erythropoietin, is a hormone that can increase endurance and, in athletics, is used mainly by long distance-runners.

Between 2011 and 2016, more than 40 Kenyan track-and-field athletes failed doping tests.  Among those sanctioned was Sumgong’s former training partner Rita Jeptoo, 36, who was banned for four years…

View More Article
SPORTS

Viera: Pique Remains Committed To Spain


New addition to the Spain squad, Jonathan Viera insists Gérard Pique remains very committed to the squad.

The Barcelona defender was booed during an open training session by the La Roja due to his support for Catalonia independence.

However, Las Palmas striker, Viera believes Pique, who has represented the country 91 times deserves respect.

“Everybody has their thoughts and freedom of opinion. If he thinks that way, we just have to respect it,” the Las Palmas attacker said.

“If he’s here with us it’s because he is committed to the national team.

“He’s been coming for years and doing things right so we shouldn’t cast doubt on him.”

View More Article
SPORTS

Viera: Pique Remains Committed To Spain


New addition to the Spain squad, Jonathan Viera insists Gérard Pique remains very committed to the squad.

The Barcelona defender was booed during an open training session by the La Roja due to his support for Catalonia independence.

However, Las Palmas striker, Viera believes Pique, who has represented the country 91 times deserves respect.

“Everybody has their thoughts and freedom of opinion. If he thinks that way, we just have to respect it,” the Las Palmas attacker said.

“If he’s here with us it’s because he is committed to the national team.

“He’s been coming for years and doing things right so we shouldn’t cast doubt on him.”

View More Article
SPORTS

Ronaldo handed five match BAN

Real Madrid’s forward Cristiano Ronaldo has been suspended for five games after being sent off the football pitch in Real Madrid’s 3-1 win against Barcelona in the Spanish Super Cup first leg on Sunday.

The football icon was initially given a one-match ban for being shown two yellow cards and further attracted four for pushing the referee in the back after he had been sent off.

The bookings at the Nou Camp were for taking off his shirt to celebrate his goal to make it 2-1 and for a dive.

Consequentially, Ronaldo will miss Wednesday’s second leg of Spanish Super Cup and La Liga on the 20 of August. Other games are Valencia (h) – La Liga on August 27, Levante (h) – La Liga on…

View More Article
Copyrights © 2019 360 Publicity. All Rights Reserved.